Anyone who knows me will tell you that I am a huge believer in lifelong learning.
Most people do not want to continue learning after they begin in their careers for whatever reason.
This stifles growth in your business and more importantly in every area of your life. Personal development is the key to success. Too bad this is not emphasized in our education system.
A “know it all” attitude can be detrimental to becoming all that you can be. Take it from me, a former know-it-all, you do not want this bad attitude.
Also, a real life-long learner will most likely tell you they do not want to be the smartest person in the room.
Every day should be an adventure in learning, growth, and progress.
As Abraham Lincoln said, “I do not think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.”
Here are some key actions to becoming a lifelong learner:
- Keep a “To Learn List” — Instead of a “To Do List”, try a “To Learn List” by listing some things you want to learn more about or discover. The wonderful thing about this list is it will continue to grow year after year.
- Practice 30-30 — 30 minutes of reading and 30 minutes of listening in the morning to anything that speaks motivation or inspiration to you. I take zero days off, doing it 7 days per week, every week. This changed my life.
- Surround yourself with likeminded people — These are people who have the same goals that you do and who will influence you to show up with your best.
- Grow at work — Change some things around the office that aren’t serving you or your team into something that promotes continual learning.
- Find a coach or mentor - Every time I shy away from this important action, I pay a price. Complacency creeps in, I lose energy and excitement and become bored. I also get grumpy, and not easy to be around.
Taking a few simple actions every day to promote continual learning will change your life and continue to take you to the next level in your business and even more importantly your personal life.