by Bill Gough, Insurance Hall of Fame Agent
The holiday season is here! With all the distractions that come along with the holidays and then throwing work into the mix, you may find it difficult to keep on task in the workplace.
Here are a few ways to stay focused and on task during the crazy holiday season:
- Plan Days Off. If you have vacation time. USE IT. Whether you plan to go away with your family or stay at home during the season, a couple of days from work will do you some good. Use your vacation time to relax so that you will feel refreshed and productive when you return to work.
- Avoid Multitasking. Usually, multitasking never works out. It’s a myth. Avoid it at all costs. Take time to work on one task at a time and if you feel swamped, delegate a task out. Also, never work on personal and work-related tasks at the same time. It may be tempting to holiday shop online while listening to a conference call, however, it’s disastrous to your productivity.
- NEVER Take Your Work Home. It’s important to realize that home time, is “important” time. Set clear and reasonable time allotments for tasks that need to be accomplished at the office and then commit to leave work at WORK once you leave. A better choice is to come into the office an hour early and work undisturbed.
- Avoid Distractions. With all the holiday cheer in the air, people at work distract themselves anyway they can. Playing on phones, chatting with their team members, etc.… You need to remind yourself you have tasks to get done so you can feel accomplished at the end of the day and LEAVE WORK AT WORK!
- Plan and Prioritize Your Schedule. Planning during the holiday season is KEY. It’s easy to forget to do something. ALWAYS keep a prioritized task list of what you need to complete.
- Stay in the Holiday Spirit. The perfect motivation reminder is to remember what the holidays are all about. Think about the happiness that will come once you finish all your tasks at work. With the thought of family and celebration right around the corner, you should be motivated to finish up all work you have to do beforehand.
Following these tips should help you stay motivated at work during the holidays. Just remember the bright side of the outcome!