by Bill Gough, Hall of Fame Member
Giving up seems to be the easiest thing to do and many people give up because they don’t have direction or a plan.
There are many reasons as to why a person gives up and I want to discuss a few things to help you move forward without the fear, anxiety and worry.
Your goals are very important AND you must resist the urge to simply abandon them.
Here are some things to do when you feel like giving up:
- Start with a Plan. Planning is extremely important when you are goal setting. Always divide your tasks into simple steps. With simple steps, it’s easier to see how far away or how close you are to hitting your goal. Your end result should ALWAYS be the COMPLETION of the goal.
- Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff. We must remember that “life” happens every day. You can’t worry about the negative things that happen. You have everything that you need inside of you to make your life better. You are more likely to give up when you lose focus and sweat the small stuff. Stay the course.
- Surround Yourself with Positive People. Be around positive people. They help to push your activity onto the path of success. Positivity is contagious. Positive people will bring life to your goals, plans, and your existence. They will encourage you and help you see that other people genuinely believe in you. Positive people hold you accountable for the things you say you want to do and expect the greatness that you have inside of you.
- Know the Difference between Inspiration and Motivation. Motivation is temporary, Inspiration is long-term. Motivation lasts only a short period of time. Inspiration will give you the “reason” why you are doing what you’re doing. Inspiration shows you that you can save lives, change someone’s way of thinking, help others see from a different or a better perspective and possibly assist people to become a better version of them.
- Realize Your Strength and Your Power in Any Situation. People give up because they don’t realize their own strength and power. Your strength comes from within YOU. Channel your strength on those days when you feel like giving up. Giving up on your goals means that you are not only giving up on yourself, but you are also preventing others from having the opportunity to have a fulfilling life.
- Allow Time to Re-Evaluate Your Goals. There may be times when you might want to take a look at your goals from a different vantage point. The assistance of a mentor, or someone you value, can come in handy. They can help you see what needs to be corrected or changed.
Prolific speaker Zig Ziglar once stated:
"If you help enough people get what they want, then you will get what you want". Understand how vital your purpose is, especially when you feel like giving up. Re-evaluation will help you have a greater understanding of what you are doing, as well as WHY you are doing it!
If you have a desire to improve yourself by focusing on what you want, then you must keep going. You can do anything that you put your mind to. There is nothing too hard if you just stay focused!